Saturday 9 March 2019

Post 14- Last day of Retreat



The structure today was relaxed and fluid. We began with the teacher of our second project to finish off any techniques we had not fully covered. Then about two thirds of the group went to a Crewel class with Phillipa, working on a charming Red Work Rabbit.

I have some Easter plans for this one.

The remaining third worked on either project and had a chance to ask questions or get individual help.

There were little groups working or getting help.



Michaela blew us all away by revealing that she had been working each night on her first project - Jenny's Hill Top Cottage- long after the rest of us were asleep, and had actually finished it. This is the first fine needlework project Michaela has attempted. She wanted to be sure she could do it while she had Jenny around to ask for advice.

It is beautiful- and a remarkable achievement.


I managed to finish off the guttering, the wisteria, the dense wall creeper, the stone wall and the wall capping.







I'm pretty pleased with that. This year, because both projects are  in hoops rather than slate frames, I have been able to fit them in my suitcase along with a sitting base for a hoop. I'm hoping I will be able to keep working on them in the next phases of my journey.  I have loved both projects. Both involve a range of techniques but have considerable flexibility and opportunity to interpret or adapt.
I love this about both of them.

Jenny's is designed to go in a box with an engraved brass surround. I have ordered the box but not the surround. I'm considering my options on that. For Nicola's I have ordered a shaker box from Australian Needle Arts. It will be delivered within days of my arriving home. It is 10"x7" - perfect.

From about 4.30pm much packing up was going on. I packed my suitcase in preparation to a departure tomorrow morning.

At 6pm we assembled for drinks and canapes. It was lively - conversations everywhere. I did not move around taking photos, but did take photos of those I could easily see.


Dinner was a grand affair, with a four course menu. There were six on my table and they encouraged me to take photos. It was delicious food and beautifully presented. We finished off with the wonderful chocolates made by the partner of one of the hotel staff.








Between courses we had a quiz - focused on Beatrix Potter and the stitches we have worked on.

Our table named ourselves the 475ers - the total of our ages. There were no prizes, which was just as well, as the table that marked our answers could not add up, missing a whole page of our answers!

We finished the evening by thanking the staff. They have been extraordinary - totally service focused, attending to our every need and providing food of a very high quality indeed.


A number of people leave at 7am tomorrow. I have a taxi booked for 10am.

It has been a fabulous 8 days.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Post 32: Journey home

It started out with a quick breakfast followed by slow traffic to Heathrow- just over 6 miles in 55 minutes. It gave me a chance to loo...