Thursday 7 March 2019

Post 12: Carry on Stitching

The wet weather continued this morning, but it makes little difference to most of us here at the Ryebeck. It hasn't stopped the two or three early morning walkers striding around in the rain and damp.

The view from the lounge room window is still charming, and its warm and pleasant inside.



We cracked on with our projects. I discovered I had used the wrong green thread around my windows. One of the great things about both Nicola and Jenny as teachers is their insistence on flexibility and adaptation. Jenny made a comment this morning to that effect that I thought would make a great sampler - but I failed to write it down! I thought it would be great for our South Australian Junior Embroiderers. I have a paper and pen ready to write it down next time.

My window outlines are quite strong. I like them. They remind me of my grandparents house.

Jenny's design has lots of different techniques and challenges. The gate was the first one this morning. I haven't finished it yet but it was fun to do.
Another challenge is the dry stone wall in Herdwick wool. So far I have only tacked the woolly rocks to the wall. Tomorrow's challenge will be working the embroidery on this wall. It is such a clever idea.




We had several demonstrations of techniques throughout today's sessions.









We began the flowers towards the end of the day. I  found the fettuccini thread the hardest to work with. I haven't finished these.

It was another great day of stitching and laughter.

As we were getting ready for our evening lecture, there was a stunning sunset - the first I have noticed since being here. The things that look like fireworks are a reflection of the lights in the dining room as I took it through the window.


Our evening lecture was by  Judith Heelis,  a descendant by marriage of William Heelis, Beatrix Potter's husband. She breeds and farms Herdwick sheep, and gave a presentation on the history and breeding of them. It was really interesting and well-illustrated. She also showed us some photos of Beatrix Potter and then, at the end, showed us some items from her personal collection - costumes, Herdwick carpet  and a magnificent quilt made between 1802 and 1820. She was lively and engaging - especially in relation to the sheep. She so clearly knew what she was talking about. 


I found it a relaxed and enriching day. Tonight people are sitting around talking. A couple are stitching.

For those who are interested, last night at 10.30 pm here (9.30am Adelaide) I rang my Vergola rep to work out how to progress my balcony cover. He is preparing the Council documentation while I am away. On my return he will bring me the contract to sign and submit the Council Approval Documentation. So it is moving forward.

Tomorrow the weather is forecast to storm - perhaps even snow - in the afternoon, so our program has been adjusted . We now go to Alan Bank, a National Trust property where the Wordsworths lived for 2-3 years, in the morning and then stitch in the afternoon. I have decided to stay and stitch in the morning. I am very keen to keep moving on both my projects - and there are only two days left.

Addendum
I almost forgot - I promised to add information about this charming Herdwick rabbit (contradiction in terms?) purchased by Sandra at Cable and Blake in Kendal. Apparently they have lots of interesting things.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post 32: Journey home

It started out with a quick breakfast followed by slow traffic to Heathrow- just over 6 miles in 55 minutes. It gave me a chance to loo...