Wednesday 6 March 2019

Post 11: On to our second project

Today we began our second project - for my group Jenny Adin-Christie’’s Beatrix's Hill Top Garden.

This is quite a different kind of project to Nicola's. We are working on 8” hoops secured on a barrel clamp. We spent the first hour or so setting up the layers of gauze on to which the cottage is printed. We needed to outline the embroidery area, insert Mica pieces in the windows, then align and attach another layer of printed silk before we began embroidering.


Somehow this was not onerous. I was a bit behind the others because I left my scissors and other tools in my room and had to go and get them. It didn't matter. The classes are laid back and Jenny is keen that we de-stress.
I had expected this project to be a lot harder than it has proved so far to be.

The weather was wet again, so it is very pleasant to be inside, looking out on the gloom and hearing the rain on the roof.

I forgot to mention yesterday that I had bought a booklet on Beatrix Potter's study and illustration of mushrooms.  It gives some idea of her knowledge - and of her extraordinary illustrations. Folk at home interested, please ask to borrow it when I return.

There was also a lovely basket of roving from Herdwick Sheep at the Armitt Museum, giving a good illustration of the range of natural colour in the wool.

By the end of today I had managed to finish the roof of the cottage, the window, most of the door and the chimneys. I was pretty pleased with that.

I had also abandoned the table clamp and was using a sit-on hoop. I find working at the table strains my back and neck. I can get better posture and less strain if I sit back in a chair with a seated frame. Many thanks to Kathleen who offered me the use of hers. It made a big difference.





Before dinner Phillipa gave an illustrated talk on British embroideries seen during our retreats. I had seen quite a few of the items, and it was interesting to see them in a larger context. It would be of great interest to many members of my Guild.

Some of the discussion in our group today while stitching or taking breaks has been about why we come on these retreats. The consensus seems to be around being removed from daily pressures, focused on interests we hold in common, and perhaps even more important, the flexibility and adaptability of the tutors. While we learn technique, there is no pressure to conform to a rule book. There is a respect for variation, for adaptation, for creativity and growth. While the tutors are tireless in teaching how there is no expectation of cloning.  It is a hugely respectful environment.

Tonight's post is short. It has been a full day, and I've made a lot of progress on a project I expected to find daunting. I was pleasantly surprised. I should have known better. Jenny works hard to achieve an appropriate level of challenge, enjoyment and success.

I don't underestimate the work it takes to make this happen. The preparation, kits, and organisation are formidable, as is the administration and planning. The benefits, however, are tangible and addictive. One member of my group summed it up by saying that she always goes home from these retreats energised. I think that's right. It isn't just being relaxed, but actually being strengthened and renewed.

It is a great privilege to participate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post 32: Journey home

It started out with a quick breakfast followed by slow traffic to Heathrow- just over 6 miles in 55 minutes. It gave me a chance to loo...