Tuesday 26 March 2019

Post 31: Last a day in England for now

So here I am, at the Mitre, at 7.44 pm. in my Qantas pyjamas ( because they are staying behind), book-through bag packed and closed (without the expander), pile of clothes to wear tomorrow, only my computer, ipad, laptop and cords to go in my carry-on in the morning.  I wasn't at all sure I would manage it. My boots and  puffy jacket are in the suitcase.  A little regretfully I took both Jenny and Nicola's projects out of their smart and useful boxes. They fit more easily in a suitcase without the boxes.

I’ve checked in online and my transport to the airport is confirmed for 7.55 in the morning.

I took it very easy today. I really wanted to do as much as I could of the Herdwick project, so I started work on it straight after breakfast. While my room was being serviced I moved to the hotel lounge. It is comfortable and has good light. It wasn't warm enough for me to sit outside.

I was working on the spray of Dog Roses. It is slow work. Each petal has to be outlined in split stitch before being filled in with at least two layers of satin stitch.




I went for a couple of short walks to Gardinarium. The pub next door seems to always have customers.




The weather was sunny on and off, but with a bit of a chill in the air. It didn't stop the flowers blooming outside the pub.




I hadn't noticed the wisteria on the hotel wall before. It must look lovely when blooming.

There is also a healthy looking Fir tree, no doubt enjoying the air until required again at Christmas.







Back in my room I worked steadily on the dog roses. I finished them just after 5pm. I haven't put the flower centres in yet. They include beads and I don't want to start that in a hotel.

I'm pretty happy with it. I did contemplate taking it on the plane and continuing work on it - but common sense prevailed. It is too meticulous for the light and conditions on a plane. I have now dismantled my hoop stand and packed it all away in my suitcase.

Back to my zen project for the  plane!

My jeans came back from the laundry - so I will not have to wear my leggings for the third day on the plane.

My friend Christine Thatcher tied to phone me at the hotel last night but was told I wasn’t answering my phone. She called again this evening and was told the same. This time the receptionist came to check. The phone is not connected! I wonder how long it has been like that? We did eventually connect and catch up on my mobile.

I got to dinner in time for sunset.













There was a dozy swan


and quite a few craft on the river, narrow boats on the move, launches and a rowing boat.


One thing I’ve learnt on this trip is that Yorkshire pudding is served with more than beef! I’ve had it twice with roast pork on this visit. I haven’t made it for decades because I rarely roast beef. This is an example, I think, of migrant communities preserving traditions long abandoned in the country of origin. Next thing I’ll find mint sauce served with chicken!

In spite of the destruction of long-held assumptions, I’ve had a great month. Many thanks to all those who have helped to make it so -particularly Pene and Mark. I’ve met so much kindness and generosity. 

There will be one more post in this blog. I will post it when I get home on Thursday night or Friday morning.

Thanks for following along.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Post 32: Journey home

It started out with a quick breakfast followed by slow traffic to Heathrow- just over 6 miles in 55 minutes. It gave me a chance to loo...