Sunday 24 March 2019

Post 29 Sunny day at the Mitre

At last - a sunny day. The river responded cautiously at breakfast, but when I went for a walk around 10 am it was bright and clear.













The flowers were out - and so were people. Families headed for the Palace, cyclists in groups and pairs, people walking dogs - and lots of traffic.


The river sparkled and the Mitre almost looked smart.















The swans  practised their flight on the runway of the river.






There were canoeists, fours, eights and twos - although I did not manage to photograph them.












There was no activity on the moored canal boat with its assortment of attached craft - but it was not yet lunchtime.

There were other craft coming and going.


I visited Gardinarium, the shop one door away from the Mitre. It always has something of interest. I was wearing a top I had bought there two years ago - and sure enough, found a couple more tops to my liking. They are of a light, cheesecloth-like fabric and will pack to almost nothing. Yes, they are the same, but different colours.  I also found a pair of 3.5 x magnifying spectacles that will go over my glasses for embroidery.



Andrew and Jean Chitty came for lunch at the Mitre, and regretfully, I forgot to have someone take our photo. Andrew is my second cousin once removed. His grandmother Alice Higgs and my great-grandmother Emily Grace Higgs were sisters. We had plenty to catch up on. Like many in our family, Andrew worked for years in the aviation industry. They are great tennis followers and travel long distances to tournaments - including the Australian Open. It was a lovely three hours.


I also managed to get some work done on the dog rose leaves of my Herdwick embroidery -

By sunset I felt a little chilly outside, but there was great reluctance by staff to closing the restaurant doors, which were left wide open to let in the evening air. I'd have closed them - but I don't begrudge the enthusiasm that kept them open.

The sunny day has lifted spirits and that's worth hanging on to.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Post 32: Journey home

It started out with a quick breakfast followed by slow traffic to Heathrow- just over 6 miles in 55 minutes. It gave me a chance to loo...