Wednesday 20 March 2019

Post 25: Catch up Day


This morning I opened my curtain to find a secret visitor occupying the window ledge. In Summer she can reach the garden this way - but not today.



Pen and Mark left around 11 to their various activities and I settled down in their conservatory, with the great light to do some more work on Nicola's Herdwick sheep.



I had the sequins, a bit more on the large flower, one of the small leaves and most of the French knots left to do.

I'm pleased to say she is now finished.

I am now turning my attention to the Dog Rose leaves. It is possible, I think, that I might come close to finishing the piece before I get home.














Yesterday I omitted to tell the story of how Pene, myself and Sheila (Pene's neighbour) caused a scene at the Carriage Museum.

The Museum is staffed by many volunteers - mostly elderly. One operates a buggy to take visitors, who don't wish to walk, up the long steep slope to the Carriage House. We caught a lift back down.

Inside the Carriage House, part of the display is up a steep, narrow staircase. There is a small glass lift that can be utilised. The three of us got in the lift and Pene pressed the green button - one of those that you have to hold all the way. It moved incredibly slowly - and made a loud screeching noise. It took a good 2-3 minutes to travel to the upper floor, screeching all the way. We had plenty of time to notice the signs - one with a diagram of two people and the other saying Maximum Weight 400kg.

We realised that three of us were not meant to be in the lift, but figured our combined weight was well under 400kg.

However, as we approached the upper floor we could see the elderly attendant limping over to the lift. The screeching noise was the warning that we had overloaded the lift!
We could only apologise and assure him that our combined weight, although a couple of us weighed more than we should, was not over 400kg!  I'm afraid we did not make a good impression!

This timepiece was part of the display.











Back in Appledore today, after I had finished the Herdwick sheep, I took a stroll in the garden. From the conservatory you go outside and up a set of narrow stairs.

At the top it opens into a paved area, a path and a lawn. Right at the top is the office.









From the top, you look back at the house (cream) and the neighbour's house (white).

Raise your eyes and you look over the tops of the houses to the Estuary.

I can't resist a chimney pot.



I also failed to report yesterday on our visit to the Cinema on Monday night to see Fishermans' Friends. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It is a bit in the mould of Pride - a bit of history, feel-good, good performances. Well worth seeing. Warms the cockles of your heart.


I also did a bit of reading today, in particular, a book Mark lent me.

Of the 100 graves on the list, 17 are of women. Criteria for choice include accessibility, little or no cost to visit and 50% to be in London.

They include Rosalind Elsie Franklin who discovered a critical component of the DNA helix which was credited to another (male) researcher. She died aged 37 and her grave simply says "Scientist". Emmeline Pankhurst's grave simply records "Wife of R.M. Pankhurst". Hannah Twynoy (1670-1703) Barmaid, was the first person in England killed by a tiger. Jane Austen, Marguerite Radcliffe Hall, Flora MacDonald, the Brontes, Mary Shelley, Virginia Woolf and Cora Crippen all make the list (though it is known that the body buried as Cora Crippen is that of a man!). It is an interesting read, but I don't think I will be using it as a travel guide.

Tonight we are having fish and chips for tea. Tomorrow we hope to go on another excursion.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Post 32: Journey home

It started out with a quick breakfast followed by slow traffic to Heathrow- just over 6 miles in 55 minutes. It gave me a chance to loo...