Saturday 16 March 2019

Post 21 Cathedral and Cousins



During the night I had a bit of a sore throat and feared a cold coming on. By the end of breakfast (with a queue of people waiting to take my table!) I felt OK and, as there were only spots of rain, set off for the Cathedral. It was windy.
I can see the bell tower from my hotel.






It's a tantalising approach, around corners, up the hill then through the arches that connect to a college.

The Eastern entrance is attractive - carved sandstone, but closed to entry.

































Entering from the North, it is warm and welcoming.



Lovely vaulted stone ceilings, a desk and a shop, both staffed by friendly, helpful volunteers.


The first church here dates from at least the 11th Century but Augustine of Canterbury convened a meeting of bishops in this part of the country after his arrival in 597AD. It is likely there were churches established by St Columba before that.  The basis of the current church was laid by Henry VIII. There has been much renovation, restoration and adaptation - as one would expect.
Not far from a memorial to a woman of good works, I found an embroidered altar frontal behind glass (and behind the Mothers' Union noticeboard). It wasn't easy to photograph, but I thought it of sufficient interest to do my best.

































I also rather liked this pulpit - with feet like some giant animal!





The Eastern end of the church (where the outside doors are now blocked off) which was once the High Altar, has been converted into a Lady Chapel and the main nave shortened.

This conscientious parishioner has his work cut out for him!


I also liked the little chamber organ, hidden away in the Lady Chapel

There are some lovely bosses that were too difficult to photograph, and some really interesting stained glass windows installed after WWII depicting service men and women.



The vaulting, however, was my favourite.


Towards the end of his life, Bristol was the only city that attracted Jim to visit England. We had begun to plan a trip, but it was not to be.


Instead I am lighting candles. Sad and important to see the light burning. He would have liked the prayer that was resting with the candles.





Outside was sad evidence of the church as refuge - and the inadequacy of our response to homelessness.




Back down the hill, across the canal, and, in contrast, a view of my hotel. It is not an attractive building, but well located and comfortable. It has hot water!

At about 12.30 I went down to the foyer to wait for Pen and Mark. As I emerged from the lift I could see Pen at reception. As I turned around from hugging her, there was Christopher. Before long Eddie and Christine had turned up and we were sitting around having tea and coffee and taking up our conversations where we had left off. There were no gaps or hesitation. We walked down the road to the table Pen had booked at the Graze Bar and Chophouse.  At times I am on the edge of the conversation - these three are, after all, siblings. But I am not far on the edge. We are entirely at ease with one another and within three hours we are mostly caught up.

Eddie and Christine have gone back to Cheltenham. Christopher, Mark and Pen are currently at a pub watching the Rugby. We will catch up again later this evening for a drink but it won't be a late night.

I have been working on the last bit of Jenny's Hill Top project. Yes, I decided to have a go at the tripod (which is really a quadpod!). I began last night and had quite a bit of trouble with wrapping the rods (yes, the easy bit!). There was nothing to hold the wrapping in place. My knots did not hold it to the rod. I eventually got there with a lot of adjustment. In the process, my structure ended up decidedly wonky. I think it has been as windy in my Hill Top garden as it has been here in Bristol, and the supports have developed a lean. Very rustic.







The ribbon stitch, which is new to me and I was cautious about, turned out to be good fun.

I have now finished this piece - except for mounting it when I get the box.


Tomorrow we head to North Devon. When I get there I shall take up Nicola's Herdwick again.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Post 32: Journey home

It started out with a quick breakfast followed by slow traffic to Heathrow- just over 6 miles in 55 minutes. It gave me a chance to loo...