Thursday 14 March 2019

Post 19 to Bristol


This morning I ordered a taxi for 9.50am to go to Oxenholme to catch my 10.43am train to Birmingham New Street.

I have not mentioned in my blog that the Riverside Hotel, which I really like, has had no hot water in its rooms for the 4 days I have been there. There was no forewarning of this. When I asked if there was a problem I was told, yes, there was and they had an engineer coming to look at it. Each day when I asked I was told a bit more, the engineer had identified the fault, there was a wait for a part. While the receptionist answered freely enough, and apologised, there was no proactive provision of information.  Eventually, one staff membered suggested I use the shower in the leisure centre attached to the hotel.

I managed for four days with what my mother called a 'soldier's wash'. The problem came when I needed to wash my hair. I resorted to boiling the jug and washing my hair in the bathroom sink. The worst of it was that the room heating was dependent on hot water - so no room heating and no heated towel rail.  The hotel did have the good grace not to charge me for my laundry in compensation. It was inconvenient and annoying, but I decided to just get on with it. I am very happy, however, to be in Bristol with a functioning shower!

I had saved a few photos of Kendal for this post. I have, over a couple of years, posted enough photos of the journey from Oxenholme to London taken through a train window!


This photo is of the footpath/ cycling/ pram path over the bridge near the Riverside Hotel. The road is quite narrow, but there are two generous pathways, one for pedestrians and one for bicycles, prams, wheelchairs and gophers. It is quite well used, especially before and after school.

It works perhaps, because the streets are one way at this point - a consequence of the narrowness of the streets.

I also noticed, just along this stretch, a large clock (maybe 60cm in diameter) made from recycled material, notably a linen (or possibly hemp) face with an edge and back made from coiled rope. Odd.

Since embroidering Hill Top Cottage, I find myself photographing dry stone walls!

I also discovered today that the clock my young friend Ed is obsessed with is the Kendal Town Hall clock, not the Leyland one! Alas, I discovered too late to rectify my error with a new photo. Mea culpa!

I gave myself plenty of time to get to Oxenholme Station,  so took out my hoop and managed to complete the woollen part of the Primula leaves. The silk veins, however, were not possible in the light of the waiting room!

At Birmingham New Street I had organised for a car to pick me up and take me to Bristol as the train connection was inconvenient and expensive. The driver was "caught in traffic" when I arrived, but we managed to meet up and set off about 20 minutes later.

He had never been to Bristol - but managed very well with the latest sat nav. He was born in England of Pakistani-born parents and had an insatiable interest in cricket and Australia. That kept us occupied for the two hour drive. The most difficult part of the drive was negotiating the extensive road works in the centre of Bristol.

So here I am in my Bristol Hotel - with hot water and heating. The view from my window is uninspiring - but I did ask for a quiet room!


On the other hand, the view from the bar





or the dining room is endlessly interesting.












It is reminiscent of South Bank in Melbourne - alive with young people, walking, riding, meeting, eating, drinking and shopping.












I had a delicious plate of seafood while watching the passing parade.


I have completed the veins of the primula leaves.  I have the delphinium and tripod to go - but am too tired to do those tonight.


TomorrowI am hoping to visit the Museum , which has an exhibition of African textiles.

I am looking forward to a hot shower and my room is warm and cosy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post 32: Journey home

It started out with a quick breakfast followed by slow traffic to Heathrow- just over 6 miles in 55 minutes. It gave me a chance to loo...