Monday 4 March 2019

Day 9: Last Day of Nicola's Herdwick

I have been sleeping well since my arrival in the UK.  Although I do wake 3-4 times a night, I can get myself back to sleep fairly quickly. Last night on my third awakening, around 3am, I checked my email - as I do most nights. There was an email from my Strata Management to say that my request to add a Vergola cover to my back balcony had been granted. I began this process in October last year. My apartment is on the third floor of a three storey building, and while all lower level balconies are shaded by the floor of the balcony above, third floor balconies have no roof cover. Consequently they get very hot in Summer.

Because this is an exterior change that will affect the look of the building, it required a vote of all Strata members. Our building has four sub-sections, and the change required a majority of voters in a majority of sub-sections. I seriously doubted this could be achieved. Each subsection of the strata has a representative, and at least three of the four spent a lot of time explaining to their groups why my proposal should be supported.

At 3am this morning I learned that the votes were in my favour. It feels like a miracle - very good news indeed - for me and others who may wish to do something similar. I immediately emailed the Vergola rep tasking him to set the wheels in motion - and to provide me with an invoice. As yet I have not receive a reply - but my sleep was pretty intermittent after that! I'm so grateful to the people in my Strata who made this happen.









When I eventually woke again, the smog had cleared and the Lake was visible

We got stuck in to our morning of stitching. We only had a half day of teaching left on our first project, and Nicola needed the class to be 'pacey' to get through demonstrations of  all our project components.

We worked our way through it. I really love this project and could easily have stitched all day. Just about lunchtime the rain bucketed down. There was not any point in venturing outside in the light of the weather, so we continued  with our embroidery after lunch.
We worked on some of the flowers after we had done one of each item on the sheep.

In the evening we had a market day - the chance to buy from the three tutors. 

I also saw the new Crewelwork  cushion the Crewel Work Company is about to release. I thought is was lovely - and would look terrific as the last panel on my embroidered chair panel. So I'll wait.

I bought four of Nicola's birds, a book and a piece of linen twill.





The market generated a lot of interest

A few worked steadily through it


I did go to the Market, but I also went back and worked some more of my sheep. I'd really like to get most of the sheep done.

I was pleased with my progress. I'd like to get a bit more done before I move on to Jenny's project.

I still love and enjoy the technique and design.


 The rain has eased a little. There  is snow on the high fells and dripping trees.






Tomorrow we have an excursion to Hill Top, Beatrix Potter's home. We are all, I think, looking forward to it.

The forecast is still for rain.

I am very tired. My day of intense stitching and early morning excitement is catching up with me.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Post 32: Journey home

It started out with a quick breakfast followed by slow traffic to Heathrow- just over 6 miles in 55 minutes. It gave me a chance to loo...