Thursday 28 February 2019

Post 5 to the Lakes District and Ryebeck Hotel

I posted yesterday before my evening meal. I ate in the hotel and did not want much because of our lunch at the Wellcome Museum, so chose the beetroot, pumpkin and spinach gnocchi, It was delicious and beautifully presented. So much so I had to photograph it!

They have renovated the kitchen since I was here last year, to make room for more tables. The breakfast bar is now inside the actual kitchen.  It can be closed off after breakfast. I liked the breakfasts - a good choice and very good granola. Also excellent mushrooms and tomato.

The Wesley remains an interesting hotel. It's clientele is mostly young city workers. They talk of deals and alliances and network skilfully often switching between languages. There are groups off in small rooms having meetings and presenting figures. One of the staff told me there would be a roof bar next time I come.

I have slept reasonably well the two nights I have been in England, falling asleep around 8.30pm. waking up 3-4 times but getting back to sleep fairly quickly. This morning I checked out around 9.15am and made my way to the Virgin lounge at Euston to wait for my train, which left on the dot of 11.30 - perhaps even a minute early.

 I usually book one of the single seats but had, by accident or good management booked an aisle seat on a table for four, with two more acing each other on the other side of the aisle. The photo is a composite, taken when two of our company were out of their seats.
All five of my fellow travellers were going to Glasgow, three of them to attend the European Indoor Athletics - as spectators. The other two, Mavis and Don, were going to for a meeting of a Guild of Coopers - or at least Don, the Cooper, was Coopering while Mavis, discovering that the European Indoor Athletics was on, was planning to slip away to that. I learned a lot about their lives. Mavis claims to be a golf widow, while Don claims to be a choir widower. They have a niece in Sydney and have visited Adelaide more than once. They were excellent company and we laughed a lot. All were followers of the Olympic Games. Three had been to the Sydney Olympics and two to Atlanta as well.

I was met at Oxenholme by my Ace Taxi Driver, this time Hungarian-born and just back from Thailand, and whisked away to the Ryebeck Hotel in less than 20 minutes.

I had requested, I think, my room from last year, upstairs, with a view of the Lake. The downside of the room is the shower over the bath. I had given as back-up, a downstairs room with a walk-in shower. With recent back and sciatica problems , I was a bit worried about the shower and debating whether to ask for a change of room. I had been assigned a downstairs walk-in shower room anyway - so I'm happy.


The room is spacious,with a walk-in closet, a small, comfortable lounge chair and desk.



It opens on to a small outdoor courtyard that I suspect I will not be using for sitting, given the turn in the weather. It is misty and overcast. My outlook is nevertheless quiet, secluded and green.

Behind is a bank of trees partially hiding a grand house.

I am pleased to report the hotel's wifi is vastly improved and works in my room - a major breakthrough for a blogger!

I booked into dinner at 6.30 - the time most other guests had booked for. There were seven of us sharing a table as well as Genevieve and her husband nearby. We had a lovely catch-up, slotting back easily into our shared world and interests. So comfortable, and stimulating.

I was very tired when I arrived this afternoon and rested rather than exploring the garden. I gather there are daffodils out - tomorrow will tell. 

I'm not sure I should have had coffee tonight! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post 32: Journey home

It started out with a quick breakfast followed by slow traffic to Heathrow- just over 6 miles in 55 minutes. It gave me a chance to loo...